BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] generate first backup

2010-07-06 13:47:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] generate first backup
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 12:45:23 -0500
On 7/5/2010 7:53 AM, Bob Wooden wrote:

> For this communication, I choose to call this command a "troubleshoot
> command" because it is the first suggestion to try from the backuppc
> wiki page. The "-v" of the 'BackupPC_dump" portion gives verbose output,
> so users can see what is happen and diagnose failure issues.
>
> When I ran this command, the only thing I remember having to do, in each
> case was, agree that the host was to be added to the 'known_host' file.
> If I understand ssh correctly, that would be the client being added to
> the server (backuppc server) 'known_host' file.
>
> I guess I will read up on ssh. If I am correct, I did not scp anything
> to the server form the client, essentially telling the server that this
> client is acceptable.

You do have to answer 'yes' to the prompt from ssh the first time it
connects to a new target even if you already have the keys in place.
Most people probably use ssh or scp to transfer the keys, using the
password for the first connection - or at least to a manual ssh
connection as a test and thus avoid this issue.  This results in an
entry for each target in /home/backuppc/.ssh/known_hosts - which has to
be removed if the host key at the target ever changes (OS reinstall, etc.).