BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] generate first backup

2010-07-03 11:27:17
Subject: [BackupPC-users] generate first backup
From: Bob Wooden <rewdn AT bellsouth DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 10:23:13 -0500
I have been using BackupPC for six months or more now to backup one
computer here at my home. This gave myself a little time to learn long
term ramifications of various settings I tried. (My BackupPC server runs
on a Ubuntu 10.04LTS (lucid) server, if that is important to anyone.)

Now, adding additional machine to the BackupPC host list, I had issues
getting the first backup to run. I checked and re-checked my
passwordless ssh settings. Confirmed that 'ssh -l root
[client_ip_address] whoami' returned correct answer as 'su backuppc'
user (answer came back as 'root'). But, when I returned to the home page
of the client, clicking the 'Start Full Backup' would fail.

Then, I remembered experiencing this during my initial setup six months
or so ago.

On the server, I would run the troubleshoot command:

'sudo -u backuppc /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_dump -v -f [backupclient]'

After the command line completed, clients began working properly.

Now, I have completed adding three other clients to my backup list. All
three had to have the troubleshoot command run once to complete the
setup process.

The bottom line here is that BackupPC would not backup my clients before
I ran the troubleshoot command line instruction. I did not change any
client setting or configuration. And after running the command, BackupPC
functions properly, proceeding with automatic backups, etc. like it should.

I am not complaining, but is there an easier way? Does everyone have to
run their first backup by the command troubleshoot line, like I did?

--
Bob Wooden
Nashville, TN

"Enjoying life at my best!"