BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] What do I need for backing up the pool?

2010-07-01 11:40:21
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] What do I need for backing up the pool?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 10:37:56 -0500
On 7/1/2010 8:18 AM, Saturn2888 wrote:

> Can't I just dd the entire partition or that one directory into a file?

If it will fit and you unmount the partition during the copy, that would
be fine.  You'd have to copy back to a partition or loopback-mount the
file before being able to access it, though.  And be aware that if you
overwrite your previous copy on the next run and the source drive fails
before the copy completes you won't have anything usable left.

Note that the problem with file-oriented copies that is being discussed
is actually a scaling issue handling the large number of hardlinks.  For
a small system with a relatively large amount of RAM, you might be able
to use rsync -aH across the whole archive. At some large number of files
this becomes impractical - but it is so much easier that I'd try it
first.  You should also make sure nothing changes during an rsync
attempt since the hardlink tracking could miss if it does.