BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] What do I need for backing up the pool?

2010-07-01 06:33:53
Subject: [BackupPC-users] What do I need for backing up the pool?
From: Saturn2888 <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 06:31:05 -0400
:: INTRO ::

I've been really curious about a few things on backing up the backup because
I've been doing it for a while from an ext3 filesystem for a zfs one and have
noticed quite a few issues especially when my zfs drive suddenly filled up and
"rm -rv pc/blah" would give me immediate feedback the directory was deleted
meaning there was nothing in it, yet somehow I had tons and tons of data in use.

Then I noticed all the rsync cron jobs were happening all at once and nothing
was finishing. So I took a further look at the cpool and noticed it was pretty
full of data but nowhere else was and that this was probably what was causing
the issue. It also made clear to me why my BackupPC machine would suddenly
start to take hours for backups that usually took 10 minutes.

:: INFORMATION ::
The BackupPC machine is running Ubuntu Hardy with BackupPC version 3.1.0. The
other machine is running FreeNAS embedded. Both machines have the same 2TB
drive in them with the filesystems being ext3 and zfs respectively.

The rsync command I cron to copy the /var/lib/backuppc directory looks like
this:
rsync user@IP::backuppc /mnt/backuppc -aH
--exclude-from="/mnt/backuppc/exclude-list.txt" --delete --inplace
--checksum-seed=32761

I modified the command in my post to show more of what's actually going on than
what my user-specific settings are. My exclude file now includes pool and cpool
as I don't yet know of their importance.

:: QUESTIONS ::
My main question pertains to the pool and the cpool. What is the purpose of
these directories? Are they recreated when the nightly jobs runs?

For instance, I'm under the impression the way to delete a host, you remove the
pc/host folder and then you go into the main configuration and remove the host
from there as well. What happens to the pool in this instance?

Let's say the drive for my BackupPC server dies, and I cannot recover the data
because someone smashed the drive with a hammer, if I wanted to re-add hosts,
and I only had backed up the pc folder, wouldn't that be sufficient or would
all the de-duplicated file processing be lost?