BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Syntax for excluding .gvfs

2010-05-07 13:50:46
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Syntax for excluding .gvfs
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: Steve Blackwell <zephod AT cfl.rr DOT com>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 12:49:28 -0500
On 5/7/2010 12:37 PM, Steve Blackwell wrote:
> On Fri, 07 May 2010 12:17:14 -0500
> Les Mikesell<lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>  wrote:
>
>> On 5/7/2010 10:33 AM, Steve Blackwell wrote:

>>> I'm trying to use tar and as I said I'm trying to use the GUI
>>> inerface.
>>>
>>> */.gvfs didn't work either
>>
>> Did you mention the version you are using?  There is this bug report
>> for 3.0.x in debian:
>>
> I'm using BackupPC-3.1.0-9.fc11.noarch.
>
> The Debian bug looks similar but in my case even if I put in the full
> path name of the directory, /home/steve/.gvfs, I still get the same
> error.
>
> [steve@steve ~]$ ls -ld .gvfs
> dr-x------. 2 steve steve 0 2010-05-07 09:24 .gvfs

Don't forget that tar cd's into the path you give it as the share and
uses '.' as its starting point to get relative paths.  So if you are
backing up /home, tar is going to see ./steve/.gvfs as the path you want
excluded.  Or if you start at '/', it will be ./home/steve/.gvfs, but
backuppc is supposed to do this for you at least in most versions. See
the section on $Conf{BackupFilesExclude} in
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html

-