BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] few questions

2010-03-30 08:35:14
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] few questions
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 07:32:31 -0500
rboulle AT free DOT fr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think that i don't use banckuppc properly. My server is not up 24/24 as my
> (two) computers. It is a home use.
>
> Anyway, how could I say to backuppc to backup right now ? I use "Backuppc_dump
> -i -v IP" but it seems to be quite long, CPU is 30% but nothing seems to
> happen
> (apart from plenty of messages starting with pool, create...).

Normally to start a backup manually, you would go to the web page, select the
target host either from the drop-down list or the host summary, and click the
'start full' or 'start incremental' buttons.

> How could i force backuppc to backup, let's say, everyday at 9:00 pm is PC is
> UP
> ? What happen if PC is truned of at 9:15 and backup is not completed, will it
> completed next day ?

On the host summary page you can see how long it has been since the last
backup.
  If it is longer that the schedule (default is daily), it will automatically
start a backup unless you are in the configured blackout interval.   If hosts
are not regularly available on the network outside of the blackout interval
they
will be backed up during the blackout.  The best way to control the timing of
the runs is to set the blackout for the times you don't want backups to run so
it has some leeway for concurrency.  If you start a backup manually, the next
one will start approximately 24 hours later, so once you get started with the
right timing it will stay that way as long as things complete on schedule.