BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backups no longer run automatically

2010-03-16 19:43:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backups no longer run automatically
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 18:41:27 -0500
On 3/16/2010 6:04 PM, Chris Bennett wrote:
>> The 'host summary' web page shows everything at a glance.  Look at
>> it once in a while if you care what is happening.
>
> I was just curious how the unfamiliar admin would be able to determine
> backups have stopped.  From what I can tell, the host summary does not
> report if backups have stopped due to DfMaxUsagePct being exceeded.

It doesn't explicitly show why backups didn't run, but if you look down
the 'Last Backup (days)' column, the numbers should all be less than one
if you have daily backups scheduled.  If it is more than a day without a
failure mentioned in the 'Last Attempt', it means that it didn't start
as scheduled, and that's about the only thing besides the server or
backuppc service being off that would prevent it.  So then you look at
the top of the page where it shows the pool filesystem use.

>> And the system will send email after a configurable number of days
>> without backups on a target.  Configure what you want there.
>
> But I was able to find a section in bin/BackupPC_sendEmail which will
>
>    if ( $Info{DUDailySkipHostCntPrev}>  0 ) {
>        my $n = $Info{DUDailySkipHostCntPrev};
>        my $m = $Conf{DfMaxUsagePct};
>        $adminMesg .=<<EOF;
>    Yesterday $n hosts were skipped because the file system containing
>    $TopDir was too full.  The threshold in the
>    configuration file is $m%, while yesterday the file system was
>    up to $Info{DUDailyMaxPrev}% full.  Please find more space on the file
> system,
>    or reduce the number of full or incremental backups that we keep.
>
>    EOF
>    }
>
> So perhaps the host summary or Server Status page could communicate
> that DfMaxUsagePct has been exceeded as well as the raw numbers which
> it currently reports...

Didn't know that was even there.  Maybe there's a bug that keeps it from
being triggered.

>    Pool file system was recently at 90% (3/17 09:12), today's max is
>    90% (3/17 01:00) and yesterday's max was 90%.
>
> I'm just trying to think how it could be clearer, so users don't need
> to email the support list :)

Well there are plenty of other things that can go wrong - as you already
understand since you are making backups.  So it's a good idea to peek at
that host summary page regularly anyway.