BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Bare Metal Restore for Microsoft Windows XP

2010-03-08 18:01:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Bare Metal Restore for Microsoft Windows XP
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 16:58:49 -0600
> Michael Stowe wrote at about 15:00:06 -0600 on Monday, March 8, 2010:
>  > > Your method does allow for the most recent (more or less) snapshot of
> most
>  > > of the relevant windoz files but doing an image every so often would
>  > > essentially do the same thing.
>  >
>  > To clarify a bit:  it allows for 100% of the files to be recovered, but
>  > permissions/owners/flags are not fully preserved.
>  >

> Technically, it allows for 100% of the files to be recovered that
> cygwin rsync/tar or smb can see. There are ntfs files that won't be
> recovered such as NTFS alternate data streams (the data will actually
> be *lost* since cygwin explicitly doesn't handle such non-POSIX
> files). Also, junctions won't necessarily be recovered (though
> in many/most cases at least one copy of the data will be somewhere
> else on the system)
>
> Sorry for the nit-picking ;)

You're quite correct, and I forgot all about them.  In XP, I -think- they
contain thumbnails, author and title attributes, and whether files were
downloaded from the Internet.  A quick check demonstrates that "zip" files
that were downloaded and backed up are no longer marked as such after the
recovery, but the files have the exact same md5 sum (indicating that only
the main fork is considered.)

Of course, they can also be created manually as well, though I'm not aware
of any software that makes use of them for legitimate purposes.  (I'm
aware of a few viruses that use them to hide chunks of code.)

I guess it's not a big deal for my XP systems, but I suspect this could be
a big problem...  I'm not sure if Microsoft has increased the use of ADS
for Vista and Windows 7.

I did make a quick test for junctions, and they -appear- to work, but this
might just be reflexive since I used a cygwin hard link to create the
junction in the first place.