BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] high load and stuck processes

2010-03-05 15:33:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] high load and stuck processes
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 15:16:27 -0500
Gerald Brandt <gbr AT majentis DOT com> wrote on 03/05/2010 02:32:10 PM:

> Anyone have any info on JFS?

Not hard information with BackupPC, but just general JFS-type info.

As a long-time OS/2 user, I followed JFS quite actively for *years*.  It
seems back in the day that there were quite a few proprietary solutions
that needed lots of storage (TiVo like things, DVD libraries, etc., back
when 1TB was a *lot* of storage...) that used JFS quite successfully.

The biggest problem for me was lack of visibility.  For a backup server,
drop-dead reliability in *every* was was most important to me, and the
idea of JFS corruption always worried me.  There were just way fewer
people with extensive experience with it, and seeing as Linux's JFS is
incompatible with AIX's JFS, the expertise available for AIX did not
really have anything to do with Linux, so I have stayed with EXT2 on my
BackupPC servers.

The performance of JFS, though, is appealing.  I know a lot of people have
turned to XFS to deal with EXT2 limitations;  JFS could certainly also be
an alternative in that situation, too.  The other advantage that XFS has
is a seemingly more active (and visible) community.  There was really just
a *single* guy at IBM behind JFS.  He did incredible work in supporting
the community, but this lack of support was always chilling for me.

Eventually, I quit following JFS closely.  I don't remember exactly, but
it was probably about 2-3 years ago when I did so:  some time after every
major distro dropped support for it, especially in the installer...

Tim Massey