BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] high load and stuck processes

2010-03-05 14:04:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] high load and stuck processes
From: Josh Malone <jmalone AT nrao DOT edu>
To: Raman Gupta <rocketraman AT fastmail DOT fm>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 14:02:05 -0500
On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 13:38:16 -0500, Raman Gupta <rocketraman AT fastmail DOT fm>
wrote:
> When you switched to ext4 and got this performance improvement, did
> you simply upgrade your existing ext3 volumes via tune2fs, or did you
> rebuild the entire filesystem so that the existing on-disk structures
> were migrated as well?
>
> Cheers,
> Raman

The command I ran was:

  umount /dev/foo
  tune4fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index /dev/foo
  fsck -pDf /dev/foo

I can't remember if I had already mounted noatime before I made the switch
or not, but I also set noatime on the mount options. This is in a md-raid5
configuration across 4 7k spindles. It was choking on about 9 gigs of mysql
data per night and it's now fine. Transfer speed went from .5 to 1
MBytes/sec to 20+. I suspect that once of the mysql tables, which is 2GB+
in size, was choking the filesystem pretty badly (but I can't prove it)

-Josh

       Joshua Malone       Systems Administrator
     (jmalone AT nrao DOT edu)    NRAO Charlottesville
        434-296-0263         www.cv.nrao.edu
        434-249-5699 (mobile)
BOFH excuse #426:

internet is needed to catch the etherbunny