BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Time Machine-like backup schedule for BackupPC

2010-03-01 15:39:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Time Machine-like backup schedule for BackupPC
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 14:37:12 -0600
On 3/1/2010 1:16 PM, anethema wrote:

> Thanks that does help.
> One more question..
>
> Since I'm using rsync for all my hosts, the pool supposedly consolidates all
> data even if doing a full backup.

The pool consolidates all identical data, rsync or not.

> Is there then any difference in a full backup or a filled incremental in
> terms of hard drive usage or transfer bandwidth needed? Or does it just
> transfer the difference and then create a full backup with a full backup's
> hard drive space etc.

With rsync, incrementals skip files where the timestamp and length match
your existing copy.  Fulls do a block checksum comparison to verify the
data.  In either case, only changed data is transferred, but on the
server side a complete new file is constructed from the existing and new
data, then it is added to the pool.

> Also if the data is corrupted on one of the fulls and it is using the pool to
> save space, if it is just consolidating in the pool won't that corrupt all my
> full backups?

Pool matching is done based on the file content, not the name.  Backuppc
won't know what you mean by 'corrupted', but if the content is
different, it becomes a different pool entry, not linked to existing
ones with different content.