BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] server spec for BackupPC

2010-01-22 19:58:54
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] server spec for BackupPC
From: Timothy Murphy <gayleard AT eircom DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 00:56:18 +0000
Stuart Matthews wrote:

> I am currently running BackupPC on the following:
> 1.5GB RAM
> older processor - not sure how fast
> 2TB external USB hard drive
>
> Clearly this isn't cutting it, although it was barely cutting it for a
> few months. This wasn't my optimal setup but I have to be cost conscious
> whenever I can, so I went with "free," because I either had all this
> laying around or had it donated. The current bottlenecks seem to be hard
> drive and RAM, although CPU could be better, too.
>
> The environment I am trying to back up is 23 laptops, mostly OS X. They
> are generally only on the network from 10am - 5pm. The pool size is
> 434.71GB comprising 4522859 files and 4369 directories. Our network is
> 100Mbps.
>
> Here is the hardware I am considering buying:
> Shuttle barebones case, PSU.
> 2x4GB DDR2 800 RAM. max 16GB on this motherboard over four slots.
> Western Digital Caviar Black WD2001FASS 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
> Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 Yorkfield 2.66GHz Quad-Core Processor

I don't know much about BackupPC, but I backup my home network
on a PowerEdge 105 with 4GB RAM and 2 SATA disks, 250GB and 80GB,
running CentOS-5.3, which cost me about 450 euro in a Dell sale.

A full backup of 45GB takes about 100 minutes,
while an incremental backup takes 90 seconds.

So it seems to me one could backup your 430GB quite easily,
if you made sure full backups don't all run on the same night.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net