BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] server spec for BackupPC

2010-01-22 17:53:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] server spec for BackupPC
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 22:51:54 +0000
On Friday 22 January 2010 20:04:09 Stuart Matthews wrote:
> Here is the hardware I am considering buying:
> Shuttle barebones case, PSU.

If that's a Shuttle X29D, don't bother.  It's too low on CPU for reasonable
compression after the backup.  But you can do this cheap.  I run BackupPC on a
cheap custom-built server and it works quite well.

3RU rackmount chassis, 40cm depth.
2x 3-drive SATA removable enclosure + 2 internal
6x 500GB drives for backup store
2x 80GB drives for OS
1 GB RAM
Dual core Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz

I may up the RAM to 2 GB, but it is barely swapping now.  I built this unit
for about £1500 2 years ago and it is still doing just fine.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"There are ... two sorts of businesses regarding Open Source use: ones
whose management is aware of how much they depend on Open Source, and