BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Transferring backups to another backuppc installation

2009-11-13 10:14:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Transferring backups to another backuppc installation
From: Peter Peltonen <peter.peltonen AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 17:12:33 +0200
On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 4:41 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
> It is not just rsync - any file oriented technique will have the same problem.
> The only way to match up the linked files is to build a table of filenames and
> inode numbers as they are copied and look up the matching inode to find the
> right name for the link.  The process doesn't scale well.

Does that mean it will get slower and slower to rsync the data when
the amount of hard links increases?

So, what are the limits?

Currently I am rsyncing a TopDir which size is 27G. How do I find out
how many hard links the directory tree contains?

All _seems_ to go well (will I receive some errors in rsyncing if
something goes wrong, or will it just stall)?

Best,
Peter