BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC not taking care of Schedule?

2009-11-13 10:04:30
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC not taking care of Schedule?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 09:01:00 -0600
Christian Völker wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Blackout also depends on that host having at least BlackoutGoodCnt
>> successful
>> pings.  If you've just set up this host it won't have met that condition.
> Haven't added this host, but it powers down every night and starts
> shortly after 6. So yes, the $Conf{BlackoutBadPingLimit} was set to
> default value of three. $Conf{BlackoutGoodCnt} on the default (7), too.
>
> So it needed 7 successful pings (which only occur at
> $Conf{WakeupSchedule} times, right?) before the blackout took place.
>
> All together it's pretty complicated as $Conf{IncrPeriod} comes into
> place, too.
>
> So I have a host with $Conf{IncrPeriod} set to 0.97 (once a day) with
> $Conf{BlackoutGoodCnt}=7. Assuming the host will be online 24/7 it would
> take seven days now until $Conf{BlackoutPeriods} will be taken into
> account. Once the ping has failed for three consecitive times (re to the
> default of 3 for $Conf{BlackoutBadPingLimit}) during
> $Conf{WakeupSchedule}, the counter of the good pings will be reset and
> it'll need again seven days to take the blackout into account. Ok, got
> it so far.
>
> In my case, the box was offline for usually 6-8 hours. So the good ping
> count was reset every night as it wakes up hourly during the night.
> I now increased the $Conf{BlackoutBadPingLimit} to 9 which shouldn't
> reset the counter daily, but will still reset in case the machine is off
> for more than only the night.

If you start a run manually at approximately the time you'd like subsequent
runs
to happen (or just as you are leaving work if that's more convenient...), the
next run won't happen for approximately 24 hours, and unless something fails in
that timeframe it will stay there long enough for the blackout test to kick in.