BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Initiate backup from client?

2009-11-12 07:07:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Initiate backup from client?
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 12:04:07 +0000
On Thursday 12 November 2009 08:18:58 Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> How is that easier than just sending the single line:
> BackupPC_serverMsg backup HOSTIP HOST 0/1
>
> You will need to have ssh connection or vpn anyway if you are
> remote.

It's not easier, but it is more secure.  Assuming you have a reachable IP link
from server to client (IE, no NAT), using HTTP auth as the user is far safer
than leaving SSH keys on the client that can SSH into the server.

On Thursday 12 November 2009 08:23:35 Meel Me wrote:
> You offer a good solution for people who connect to the Local Area Network
>  one a month or so. But I will never connect to the Local Area Network. And
>  when I'm abroad for months, I'll (almost) always connect to the internet
>  from behind a firewall. So the BackupPC server can never connect to my
>  laptop, because: * The BackupPC server doesn't know the ip-address of my
>  laptop.
> * Even if the BackupPC server would know my ip-address, then the request of
>  the BackupPC server would be blocked by the firewall.

If you absolutely have to do it in reverse, ignore my previous advice and use
Jeffrey's suggestion of SSH, and use SSH port forwarding (reverse forwarding,
in this case).

First configure your ssh or rsync args for this client to access a high-
numbered port like 10100.  Then have your client:

ssh -t -R 10100:localhost:22 backuppc@backupserver 'BackupPC_serverMsg backup
HOSTIP HOST 0/1'

This will forward port 10100 on the backup server back to your PC's SSH port,
so you can run rsync.

Regards,
Tyler

accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give
orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem,
pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently,
die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
   -- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love", by Robert A. Heinlein