BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Initiate backup from client?

2009-11-12 02:40:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Initiate backup from client?
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 07:37:19 +0000
The "try every hour" method works just fine for me, even for users that only
come in once a month.

But if you really want to have the client initiate the backup, the easiest way
I can think of is to write a script that uses curl or wget to press the "start
incremental backup" button as the user:

curl -u user:password
http://bacckupserver/backuppc/index.cgi?host=hostname.example.com&hostIP=hostname.example.com&doit=1&action=Start_Incr_Backup

Regards,
Tyler

On Wednesday 11 November 2009 22:02:44 Meel Me wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to know if it's possible to initiate a backup from the client
>  machine, in a way that the clients connects to the backuppc server over
>  the internet to start the backup?
>
> *My (desired) situation*
> I've got a laptop. I'm abroad for many months once and a while. While I'm
>  abroad I want to be able to backup my laptop regularly and to restore the
>  data on my laptop if it crashes (or gets stolen).
>
> I want to place my backuppc server in a total other region than my home is.
>  So that a disaster like heavy earthquake, explosion, etc. will never
>  effect and my backuppc server and my laptop at once. The location where I
>  can place my backuppc server is not in my local area network. The backuppc
>  server will only be available through the internet.
>

> *Question*
> I've read the documentation of backuppc. There are several methods for
>  backing up laptops (smb, rsync, rsyncd, tar). All methods are initiated
>  from the backuppc server, so the backuppc server will set up a connection
>  to the client. If the client (my laptop) is not in the local area network,
>  then the backuppc server can't find the client and won't make a backup of
>  it.
>
> In the situation I described above, my laptop will never be in the local
>  area network of the backuppc server. Therefor my laptop will never be
>  backuped.
>
> Is it possible to initiate a backup from the client machine, in a way
> that the clients connects to the backuppc server over the internet to start
>  the backup? Instead of that the backuppc server makes a connection to the
>  client?
>
> If so, how?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Wim

accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give
orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem,
pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently,
die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
   -- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love", by Robert A. Heinlein