BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc Cpool

2009-09-21 22:43:12
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc Cpool
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Mr_T <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>, [email protected]
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 04:39:30 +0200
Hi,

Mr_T wrote on 2009-09-21 22:22:00 -0400 [[BackupPC-users]  Backuppc Cpool]:

> Hi,
>
> Hopefully someone will look at this, slap me in the face and correct me!
>
> I've got a fresh install of Backuppc - and it's pretty much running fine,
> the only thing I've configured that makes it different from the standard
> install is the $topdir which I've pointed at a specific volume "/data"

well, since you're expressly *requesting* a slap in the face ... you've likely
done that wrong, i.e. simply changed the value in config.pl after installation.
How did you install BackupPC, from the sourceforge tarball or from a
distribution package? How did you point it at /data? Did you look at the wiki
on how to change the archive directory?

> Within /data I've then created the following directories...
> [list]cpool
> [list]lost+found

Really? That should either be put there by mkfs or be totally unneeded ;-).

> [list]pc
> [list]pool
> trash
>
> [...]
>
> I think I'm running out of space far quicker than I should because the
> BackupPCNightly isn't cleaning anything out of the pools because they
> aren't being used.

No, you are running out of space because deduplication isn't working. Expired
backups should still free the space they were using (which is much more than
they should have been using).

Regards,
Holger