BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Some incremental backups are full

2009-09-20 20:42:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Some incremental backups are full
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 10:31:35 +1000

Justin Mauger wrote:
> In answer to your question, I have been manually deleting backups by
> using BackupPC_deleteBackup.sh.  At one time I also just did ?rm -rf? in
> the backup directory.

Then can't really help, I'd suggest leaving things alone, or wiping the
whole lot and starting fresh... Even if you just rename the pc/hostname
directory to pc/hostname.old, so you won't actually lose your backup
content, and let backuppc start fresh.

> I had switched on filled=yes just to see if that would make a
> difference, but it didn?t.

You would be best advised to leave that off, unless you really need it
on (most people don't seem to need it, and everything works just fine).

> Justin Mauger wrote:
>> I?ve been running backuppc on my Ubuntu box for a while now, and it
>> seems to have gotten out of sync. Full backups occur once a week as
>> scheduled, but one of the daily incremental backups seems to be treated
>> as a full backup. In the backup summary page screenshot below, backup
>> #18 has type ?incr?, but its duration and size indicates it was a full
>> backup. This duplication is causing me to run out of disk space.
>> Backup #11 was similar, but it was deleted automatically because it had
>> aged.

In addition to what I said before, whether a backup is a full or
incremental, they will both take up exactly the same amount of
additional disk space (well, a full will use more inodes, and hence
perhaps a few extra MB's, but basically they are the same).

So, at this point it might be worth checking that pooling is actually
working properly.
Try these commands:
cd $TOPDIR
du -sm cpool pool pc/localhost/1*

Basically, you should see a lot of data in either pool or cpool, and
very little data in any of the pc/localhost/1* directories. This is
because the files under localhost are just hard links, they do not take
up much space.

Also, an incremental backup will take a long time if a lot of files have
changed....

Hope that helps a little...

Regards,
Adam