BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] killing backuppc job after client disconnects

2009-09-18 14:05:05
Subject: [BackupPC-users] killing backuppc job after client disconnects
From: "Marcelino Mata" <mmata AT multimatic DOT com>
To: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net.>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 13:47:03 -0400
I have been testing backuppc for a few weeks with a dozen Windows laptops.  I have chosen smb over rsync protocol for it's setup simplicity and it's working well for what I need.  The slower speed of smb backup is actually better since the users are not impacted by network performance issues with a faster backup protocol like rsync.  I'm running the 3.1 release from the Ubuntu 9.0.4 repo.

One outstanding problem is that when a Laptop user disconnects from the network, backuppc never terminates the backup job.  It happily continues on with "backup in progress" until I manually kill the job from the CGI interface.  I just found this posting and I noticed the default time out is 20 hours.

Is the preferred solution to change the ClientTimeout value or is there another solution to address this?  Other than monitoring it with a background process and sending it a kill command.

If this is the preferred solution, it seems to me that 20 hour timeout is very long time.  I would like to change it to 4-6 hours hours but I would think the 20 hour value was chosen for good technical reason?  The documentation says increasing it might be required in rare situation but does not mention decreasing it.  As the smbclient process jumps to 100% when this condition occurs, it seems a lower time would be better for overall system performance when the backup computer is single CPU system.

Thanks,

Marcelino