BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Looking for Hardware Recommendations

2009-09-11 21:25:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Looking for Hardware Recommendations
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 19:21:43 -0600
AGP is litterally Accelerated Graphics Port and cannot be used for anything else.

I would highly recommend building a new system instead of using the GX20.  This is the series of dell computers that drug down dell in the business market.  They had a high failure rate due to poor choices in sourcing parts.

I have compaq towers that I am retiring because the are too slow that are running 1Ghz P4s while I no long have ANY dell gx units that were bought more recently that the compaqs and have 2+Ghz P4s in them because they gave out litterally years ago.  Those units are bad news and I wouldnt trust one for backups.  The high system load you will see with backuppc will accelerate your GX's death.

$299 gets you a PowerEdge T105 with a dual core athlon and 2Gb ram plus a pair of 250GB sata drives.  You can pull those drives and do the 2x1TB drives and have a $500 system.  The T105(or T100) have 4 onboard sata2 3Gb/s ports.  I would definitely buy my drives from newegg but this system is descent and cheap and you can use those 250GB for whatever or ebay them.  You can move to a quad core intel system in a T100 for $150 more or a quad core amd for $200 more.
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&fb=1&kc=9&l=en&oc=bqdwv1kb&s=bsd&X=9&Y=6
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=US&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=EN&nc=true&oc=bemqa2db&s=bsd

Alternatively build your own.  or http://www.getashuttle.com/

Alternatively, you could use the external drives like you had planned and get a really basic machine like
I definitely suggest you not use the GX though.