BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] SUMMARY CONCLUSIONS: Problems with hardlink-based backups...

2009-09-02 22:08:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] SUMMARY CONCLUSIONS: Problems with hardlink-based backups...
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 19:40:51 -0600
On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 9:45 AM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> wrote:
Hopefully we can put this part of the thread to rest.
I will try to summarize my conclusions based on the vociferous
feedback I have heard and then throw out some compromise roadmap
suggestions that may be workable and helpful:

- While a hybrid database/filesystem approach would certainly bring a
 number of advantages in some areas, it also would require a lot of
 work and would introduce a host of potential
 stability/robustness/speed issues. Most such issues are probably
 solvable but few would be willing to risk switching to a new
 approach until it was proved stable and there is likely to be little
 if any interest in investing in such an effort in advance of such
 proof. Other people are not interested in a new approach simply
 because the current approach satisfies all or most of their needs

 Recommendation: Keep as-is

I have to disagree and will be respectfully vocal because you can see that this is a top 10 topic in this list.  Also, I dont think that open source is meant to stagnate.  I dont believe the future of backuppc is simply improvements to the cgi or some bugfixes and minor adjustments.

- While there are block-level approaches to copying/moving the
 BackupPC tree, a continuing stream of users still would be
 interested in a file-level approach. Additionally, the ability to do
 "incremental" backups would be welcome. Holger, myself, and perhaps
 others have at times in the past suggested various O(n log n)
 algorithms for copying the tree & hard links using the known
 structure of the pool and pc trees. Myself and others have also
 suggested potential ways of doing incrementals either by tracking
 changes or by identifying changes on the fly (with the key 'gotcha'
 changes being the chain renumbering). None of these approaches
 appears to be particularly difficult though it does require a
 commitment of time

See the next paragraph on how/if I think this should be explored.  This isnt a terribly important process, but an important outcome.  certainly developing some good methods to work would be very helpful but I dont know that I think that backuppc should concern itself with mirroring the data in this manner.  Just like backuppc is disk agnostic, the operating systems tools should handle the hardware and expose a useful layer to backuppc. sure there is talk of underlying hardware but that isnt the focus.

#1 rule of project management is to define your goals before implementing.  I have not yet seen Craig express his views on this but until the roadmap is written in permanent marker there should be more discussion.  more bluntly, should a lot of work be done on tweeking the current system without a roadmap stating the goals?  In the spirit of open source, this should be decided on and then choices can be made to contribute, not to contribute, or to fork/start a new project.

In reading back my posts it does seem that I am making an effort to passive aggressive bash on the current system, which is not the case.  I just know that mature projects do well by taking years of experience and a strong community and replacing aging concepts and code while re-using or recycling good code and concepts.