BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with hardlink-based backups...

2009-09-01 01:54:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with hardlink-based backups...
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 00:51:43 -0500
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
>  > >  > Yes, except for people using a consumer NAS.
>  > > Which is why you want to *backup* your backup database which is one of
>  > > the whole points of this whole thread.
>  >
>  > Yes, but at that level you use the techniques the device offers.  Won't
> the NAS
>  > mirror its drives?
>
> My NAS has 2 drives in RAID1 and as we all know RAID is not backup.

Swap one of the drives out, let the RAID rebuild. Take the one you removed to
another location.  Now you have a backup.  Repeat with a 4th drive that you
take
offsite before bringing the other one back so you never have the whole
collection in the same place.  Problem solved - unless maybe you need a
matching
spare NAS chassis to read the disks.   That's not a issue with software raid
but
it might be with a hardware controller.