BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Advantages of internal over external hard drive?

2009-09-02 13:48:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Advantages of internal over external hard drive?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 12:44:55 -0500
Mark Phillips wrote:
> I am setting up a new backuppc server. Are there any advantages to using
> an external drive (USB or eSATA) over an internal drive to store the
> backups? The server is an older Pentium 3 500 MHz box running Debian
> Linux. I plan on using ssh/rsync to do the backups for other Linux
> boxes, a Windows box, and a Mac.

USB is considerably slower than SATA/eSATA even with the same drive on
the other end of the adapter - and the motherboard USB ports on a P3 box
are likely to be 1.x which is too slow.  Otherwise the tradeoffs are
fairly obvious.  The power connection can be fragile on external drives
if you move them around much.  Also, you might want to consider some
sort of RAID mirroring.   My favorite is a 3-member RAID1 where 2 drives
are internal and the third is a set of external drives that are
periodically added long enough to sync, then rotated offsite.

> If I use an external drive, can I move the drive to another backuppc
> server and access the files? Do I have to insure the backuppc on the new
> server has the identical configuration as the old server?

Yes, that works - and the config does need to be mostly the same.