BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with hardlink-based backups...

2009-09-01 15:08:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with hardlink-based backups...
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 15:03:39 -0400
Les Mikesell wrote at about 13:42:16 -0500 on Tuesday, September 1, 2009:
 > Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
 > > Les Mikesell wrote at about 12:15:34 -0500 on Tuesday, September 1, 2009:
 > >  > Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
 > >  > >  > 2) you lose power/crash while expiring
 > >  > > This would just mean that expiry not completed meaning that some
 > >  > > expired files not deleted. Same problem occurs if power/crash during
 > >  > > BackupPC_Nightly. The actual deletion is atomic. Just run expiry
 > > again.
 > >  >
 > >  > The actual deletion can't be atomic - you have to one thing in the
 > >  > database and one thing in the filesystem.
 > >
 > > No. Expiry only involves deletions to the filesystem. i.e., you delete
 > > files that no longer are referenced in the database. No changes need
 > > to be made to the database. If something crashes, just start again.
 >
 > Will you enforce not running backups while you make this decision?
 > Otherwise you have a window between asking the database whether a
 > filename should be deleted or not and the time you remove the file.
 > Meanwhile a running backup could have just added another entry
 > referencing that filename.

This doesn't seem any harder than other multi-user/concurrent
transaction database issues. If a filename is chosen to be deleted,
then you don't allow adding that *same* filename back to the database
until the delete has been confirmed.

I really think this thread has run out of usefullness... you can
continue to ask questions or pose challenges and I can continue to
parry back standard database solutions. But we are way, way down in
the weeds along a path that even I am willing admit doesn't have
enough interest to merit actual development (at least at this point).

In fact, I'm not even sure what we are arguing about since I never
claimed that moving to a hybrid database/filesystem implementation
would be easy and I never denied that you would have to re-address
many of the fault cases that the current BackupPC implementation has
been debugged against in addition to new database-specific issues.