BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with hardlink-based backups...

2009-09-01 05:21:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with hardlink-based backups...
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 11:18:25 +0200
On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 05:14:20PM -0400, Peter Walter wrote:

> I am therefore restricted to copying the primary backup server itself.
> The intent is not to be able to recover the targets directly - the aim
> is to recover the primary backup server, and, from there, recover the
> targets. If I had a method of simply backing up the changed files on the
> backup server, and a method of dumping the hardlinks in such a manner
> that they could be reconstituted later, then that would suffice.

I suppose it would be possible to add something like a transaction log
to BackupPC which could be used to script rsync, create a minimal tar
archive etc.

Of course, the transaction log would have to be written/maintained by
some central place within BackupPC. It could consist of just the
NewFileList moved to ${TopDir}/changelog plus an extra file created by
BackupPC_nightly...

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de
www.craniosacralzentrum.de