BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with hardlink-based backups...

2009-09-01 01:08:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with hardlink-based backups...
From: Jim Leonard <trixter AT oldskool DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 00:05:19 -0500
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> In contrast, the normal usage of hard links uses a
> single inode to represent the same file albeit differing only in name.

There is nothing abnormal about the use of hard links here.  What
operating environment are you basing your definition of "normal" on?
This is not only normal, it is intended.  For example, granting DBAs
access to raw database volumes that they don't have the privilege to
create, or backup operators write access to tape volumes.  This is
normal and *intended* usage of hard links.

> But these are *not* the same files -- they just happen to have the
> same data.

If they have the same data, they're the same files :-)  Or maybe you
just want to argue semantics of what a "file" is.

> "kludge" is caused by the collapsing of several truly non-identical
> files (though they have the same content) onto a single inode which
> requires the creation of a separate database (called the attib file)
> to store the timestamps and rwx attributes that are normally stored
> within the filesystem itself.

Okay, fine, if this is your point then you can argue it all you like.
You're saying that the attrib file is so incredibly inefficient and such
a crazy hacky kludge that it should be replaced by a relational
database.  I personally see nothing wrong with that, as a big relational
database would be just one more component I'd have to worry about
breaking when I apply OS patches, or lib patches, or security patches,
or exploited by a rootkit, etc.

Here's a tip:  Your backup system should be dedicated to *backups*.  It
should do one thing and do it well.  Why make the system more complex
than it needs to be?  I don't want to trade the attrib file for a
database simply because "it's cleaner".

Maybe you're thinking that backuppc is supposed to scale to an
enterprise.  It is not.  It is a nice little system for a reasonable
number of clients.  If you want an enterprise-grade system, you are
barking up the wrong product.  There are open-source systems that were
designed specifically for what you're asking for (amanda for
medium-size, and bacula for multi-site enterprise grade backups).  But
don't go arguing for a major redesign of backuppc just because the
implementation isn't to your personal liking.
--
Jim Leonard (trixter AT oldskool DOT org)            http://www.oldskool.org/