BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] spot-checking backups and rsync on cygwin

2009-08-28 11:24:28
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] spot-checking backups and rsync on cygwin
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 11:19:14 -0400
Nigel Kendrick wrote at about 09:21:03 +0100 on Wednesday, August 19, 2009:
 > Morning,
 >
 > Happy to report that first MSSQL 700MB database dump across ADSL took 433
 > mins to complete and resulted in a 130MB compressed file, but the night's
 > first full backup took 22mins to sync the changes!
 >
 > A few things, then I'll leave you all in peace for a while (maybe!):
 >
 > 1) Spot-checking backups:
 >
 >   Any in-built or documented way to generate or view the MD5 hash of a
 > backed-up file so that files in a backup set can be spot-checked against the
 > MD5 of the original?
 >    -- if not, would be a nice feature to be able to click a button or link
 > to ask the for hash of a file - I presume this would have to trigger a
 > temporary un-compress and MD5 generation procedure

I wrote the following bare-bones routine that may or not be helpful to
you. If you are using rsync-based backups then md4sums are stored in a
digest at the end of the file. The attached program can be run against
either your cpool or your pc heirarchy or against individual
files/directories in either the cpool or pc heirarchy.

I have used the program to check for corruption in my pool.