BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] spot-checking backups and rsync on cygwin

2009-08-19 05:17:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] spot-checking backups and rsync on cygwin
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 19:13:49 +1000

Nigel Kendrick wrote:
> 1) Spot-checking backups:
>
>   Any in-built or documented way to generate or view the MD5 hash of a
> backed-up file so that files in a backup set can be spot-checked against the
> MD5 of the original?
>    -- if not, would be a nice feature to be able to click a button or link
> to ask the for hash of a file - I presume this would have to trigger a
> temporary un-compress and MD5 generation procedure
>
> 2) The FAQ states "Rsync running on Cygwin is limited to either 2GB or 4GB
> file sizes".
>
>     Does this still hold true (page last modified in 2006) - I am concerned
> because our database dumps are going to grow!

By default, every full backup means the local file is uncompressed so
that we can compare the local rsync checksum with the remote file rsync
checksum. However, if you want to speed up your full backup, you can add
the --checksum-seed=32761 to your rsync command, but if you still want
to occasionally check the checksums to make sure your pool'ed file is
identical to the remote one then you also need to look at the option
RsyncCsumCacheVerifyProb.

In my experience, the files that are verified in this way are marked
"pool" in the backup, even though they are not actually re-transferred
(I can tell, because they complete too quickly to re-download the file).
All the other unchanged files will be marked as "same".

> 3) I have a very sturdy Dell PowerEdge 1300 - a dual PIII-450 box - that
> *could* be a backup server, but am I expecting too much for the horsepower?
> This box would sit on a remote site and backup around 10 servers via ADSL
> VPNs

Is this box also doing the VPN encrytion/decryption?
How many concurrent backups are you doing?
Do you have compression enabled?

Basically, with two CPU's you could do two backups at once, or use one
for compression + the other for everything else needed in a backup.

Personally, I use a single CPU P4 1.8GHz system, limited to two
concurrent backups. The main thing I found was that I needed to upgrade
my disk array performance, and memory (1.5G) to ensure I didn't end up
swapping during backups. For me, this system is fast enough for my
backup hosts (approx 30), and available backup periods (some hosts are
blackout 7am to 7pm, some are blackout from 7am to 11pm, and some are
allowed anytime (couple of local desktops)...

Hope that info is useful, but really, all you can do is wait and see if
your box handles it, if it doesn't, find the bottleneck, and solve it.
Or just get a new box. You can't tell me new toys aren't fun :)

Regards,
Adam