BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] No emails being sent for backup failures

2009-08-27 08:07:43
Subject: [BackupPC-users] No emails being sent for backup failures
From: txoof <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 08:03:53 -0400

> Backuppc is configured to send email for all hosts to one gmail account. All
> email sent to the attention of the administrator as well as each host's email
> is sent to the <foo>@gmail.com account. That is to say, the USER field is set
> to <foo>@gmail.com for ALL 20 of the hosts. This was a decision we made to
> avoid nagging our clients too much.
>
> The following emails have successfully come through to the gmail account:
> * Test emails
> * Administrative attention needed for "bogus" directories
> * No backups of <hostname> have succeeded - for hosts that have NEVER ONCE
> succeeded.
>
> The problem arises when backups have been delayed for a client. There is one
> client that is rarely on the network. It has been about 16 days since the
> last time it was backed up. Backups happen when it is attached to the
> network, but I have never received an email from this client indicating that
> it has been more than 3 days since the last backup.
>
> On that host's summary page I see the following:
>
> * This PC is used by esybackup AT gmail DOT com (and michalski).
> * Last email sent to esybackup AT gmail DOT com was at 8/24 01:01, subject
> "BackupPC: no recent backups on a82f06-michalsk".
> * Last status is state "idle" (no ping) as of 8/26 07:00.
> * Last error is "host not found".
> * Pings to a82f06-michalsk have failed 170 consecutive times.
>
> I have
> Code:
> EMailNotifyMinDays 2.5
> set so I should be getting an email about every 3 days indicating a problem.
> If I look at the email summary page I see the following:
>
> Recipient: esybackup AT gmail DOT com
> Host: a82f06-michalsk
> Time: 8/24 01:01
> Subject: BackupPC: no recent backups on a82f06-michalsk
>
> This indicates to me that the checking subsystem is working properly and
> that, in general, the email system is working properly. The problem appears
> to be with only the delayed backup emails. What might be causing this
> problem? Where should I start looking for the source of this problem?
>
> Thanks for your help!

Update:

BackupPC sent an email this morning for the system in question.  The mail was
for a system that has had 16.5 days since its last backup.  Is there a setting
that I'm missing?  Or is this controlled only by EMailNotifyMinDays?  From my
understanding of the documents, the email should come after 3 days of no
backups.  Any ideas what's going on?