BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Still having problems with BackupPC

2009-08-27 08:32:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Still having problems with BackupPC
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: jeremy AT biochem.uthscsa DOT edu
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 14:27:21 +0200
Hi,

Jeremy Mann wrote on 2009-08-26 09:25:10 -0500 [[BackupPC-users] Still having
problems with BackupPC]:
> [...] I am monitoring one server right now by tailing the NewFileList log
> file in its pc directory. [...] it just goes by maybe 1 file every
> minute or so. Then occasionally there's a spurt of maybe 10 file names.

the NewFileList only contains files that are *not already in the pool* and
need to be added by BackupPC_link. Any file that is already in the pool will
not be listed there.

> Right now, the logfile is "hung" and hasn't had any output in the last 5
> minutes. Just what is BackupPC doing during this time?

Depends on XferMethod and backup type. For tar/smb and a full backup, it is
probably transferring files that are unchanged. For rsync(d) and a full
backup, it still needs to read all unchanged files and calculate block
checksums, which will take time, even if it uses next to no bandwidth.

> I thought this would solve our storage problem, but I'm afraid I cannot
> spend more time on this. I'm going to revert back to our old rsync
> scripts.

Then why even ask?

Regards,
Holger