BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Anyone with experience of MS-SQL database dumps?

2009-08-25 08:42:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Anyone with experience of MS-SQL database dumps?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 07:37:07 -0500
Nigel Kendrick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This may also be applicable to MySQL etc..
>
> I have an MS-SQL database that dumps out a backup that's around 700MB in
> size. BackupPC brought this over to its server via ADSL/VPN/Rsyncd
> (422mins!) and when I did another data dump about 4 hours later, around
> 16Mb of changes to the file were transferred very quickly. However,
> every single backup since then has gone back to 422 minutes. I could
> imagine that the database and dump will change over time, but it seems
> strange that the entire file needs copying every time - as if its
> structure is always 100% different from the previous.
>
> I wondered if I was missing anything obvious (being a BackupPC noob)
> like file time stamping causing a complete file transfer every day, or
> are database dumps likely to be completely different every time?
>
> I will keep some copies of the dumps and do some comparisons but in the
> meantime any tips, thoughts etc.?

I don't know anything about the contents of the file, but are these full or
incremental runs for backuppc?   Assuming this is rsync or rsyncd, note that
incrementals always compare against the last full unless you have configured
multiple incremental levels, so they tend to transfer more each time.  Or there
may just be enough difference that it can't find the matching parts.

If you are running rsync with ssh (probably not if this is windows), you might
save some time by adding the -C option for ssh compression.  If transfer time
is
  important, it might be worth setting up a scheduled rsync command to copy to
something on the network local to the backuppc server so you could use the -z
option (which backuppc doesn't support), then have backuppc pick up that copy
keep the history.  Or, if rsync isn't finding matching parts anyway perhaps you
could compress the file before the transfer.