BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Anyone with experience of MS-SQL database dumps?

2009-08-25 05:18:29
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Anyone with experience of MS-SQL database dumps?
From: "Nigel Kendrick" <support-lists AT petdoctors.co DOT uk>
To: "'General list for user discussion, questions and support'" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:14:38 +0100
Hi,

This may also be applicable to MySQL etc..

I have an MS-SQL database that dumps out a backup that's around 700MB in size. BackupPC brought this over to its server via ADSL/VPN/Rsyncd (422mins!) and when I did another data dump about 4 hours later, around 16Mb of changes to the file were transferred very quickly. However, every single backup since then has gone back to 422 minutes. I could imagine that the database and dump will change over time, but it seems strange that the entire file needs copying every time - as if its structure is always 100% different from the previous.

I wondered if I was missing anything obvious (being a BackupPC noob) like file time stamping causing a complete file transfer every day, or are database dumps likely to be completely different every time?

I will keep some copies of the dumps and do some comparisons but in the meantime any tips, thoughts etc.?

Thanks

Nigel Kendrick