BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with hardlink-based backups...

2009-08-20 18:38:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with hardlink-based backups...
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 17:33:35 -0500
John Rouillard wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 03:14:49PM -0500, Jim Leonard wrote:
>> John Rouillard wrote:
>>> Well not quite. It's getting better with $Conf{RsyncArgsExtra} for
>>> example.  I don't have to copy the whole $Conf{RsyncArgs} stanza into
>>> my pc/hostname.pl file.
>> I haven't ever touched/created a hostname.pl file -- I've done
>> everything in the GUI with "override" checked for a particular host's
>> configuration.  It creates very neat and tidy hostname.pl files for me,
>
> That doesn't scale well when you are running a couple of hundred hosts
> across three different backup servers and you have standard backup
> recipies for particular services on those hosts.

Unless you get 'owners' to go with the hosts...

> When you change the services so that new backups have to be added
> (i.e. change recipies), or you move services and the configs have to
> change it's a lot easier to have a single set of hostname.pl files to
> distribute to all the backup servers. Doing it this way means not
> going "oops you mean we didn't have an off site backup of that
> filesystem?" and makes auditing on a regular basis (say weekly)
> possible.

I think it would be a little nicer if there were another layer of
inheritance - like a group config file that could be evaluated between
the master and per-host configs so you could control settings that are
common for several machines in one place.  But auditing should probably
be done against the archive filesystem instead of the configs.