BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with hardlink-based backups...

2009-08-23 21:01:14
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with hardlink-based backups...
From: Jim Leonard <trixter AT oldskool DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 19:57:18 -0500
dan wrote:
> Speed.  Backuppc is constrained by I/O performance as a bottleneck on
> the system is that the storage volume must be a single filesystem due to
> hardlinks.

Then use a better filesystem.  I run BackupPC on an opensolaris system
that uses ZFS as the storage pool, and I/O is the *last* of my worries
(since the box is an older machine with only a single processor, CPU
usage is my main worry as File::RsyncP is not as efficient as binary rsync).

> that I/O is the major bottleneck for backuppc.  Getting faster hardware
> certainly helps but the reliance on a single filesystem for all data is
> a bottleneck for performance as well as an irritation when upgrading
> storage as you either need to add additional raid arrays (as expanding a
> raid is not generally an option) or just use JBOD with LVM or
> something.

Like I said, use a more appropriate filesystem.  Use ZFS, JFS, or XFS
(or Reiser) but not ext2/3 as those as jokes when it comes to performance.

> My solution is to break the backup scheme into smaller chunks and have a
> number of backuppc servers handling a set number of clients.  The issues
> here are complexity as I need to admin a number of servers and loss of
> the file de-duping.   In my organization like many others, each client
> will have absolutely identical files.  4 backup machines means that a
> massive amount of data is duplicated 4 times PLUS whatever redundancy is
> in the raid.

Keep in mind that BackupPC has a limited scope -- small to medium-sized
organizations.  If you have over 100 clients to back up, it is expected
that you will run multiple BackupPC servers.  If you have more than 500+
clients to back up, it is expected that you will invest in a commercial
solution designed for that kind of enterprise.

> Other benefits of the hybrid system are that the files can be on a
> different volumes than the database.  In fact, because you store the
> files location on disk in the database, you could store files on many
> different disks, with to issues with hardlinks.

If this is your point, then it's somewhat valid in that you are arguing
for a system where the storage is modular.  There's nothing wrong with
that, but that's not the scope of BackupPC.  BackupPC's core strength,
one that no other opensource backup solution has, is pooling of like
data, and that is the reason I've implemented it.  If you want a system
where the back-end storage is modular, choose Amanda or Bacula.
--
Jim Leonard (trixter AT oldskool DOT org)            http://www.oldskool.org/