BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with hardlink-based backups...

2009-08-19 10:01:28
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with hardlink-based backups...
From: Jim Leonard <trixter AT oldskool DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 08:57:02 -0500
David wrote:
> And like I said before, this isn't a BackupPC-specific complaint, more
> a general problem with hardlink-based backup systems (as opposed to
> rdiffs, or various other schemes). So I'm checking how sysadmins
> typically handle these kinds of issues.

Typically, we exclude such application-specific trees from updatedb and
other tree-traversal processes.  Another best practice is to put the
pool on it's own filesystem/storage.

> Anyway, hopefully the above will give you a better idea of my angle on
> this. I'm not trying to criticize BackupPC, but rather figure out what
> kind of backup scheme is going to work here (and be easy to
> admin/diagnose/hack/etc), whether it is BackupPC, or something else
> (that may or may not use hardlinks).

I didn't think open-source backup systems that pool storage even existed
before I found BackupPC, so if you're concerned about storage pooling,
you only have to worry about BackupPC.  Only commercial solutions do
that (ie. Connected Dataprotector), and that is one of the reasons I
installed BackupPC last week and am doing my best to commit to it, since
it can result in a huge savings win if you're backing up more than 5
machines with identical OSes/configurations.
--
Jim Leonard (trixter AT oldskool DOT org)            http://www.oldskool.org/