BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC File::RsyncP issues

2009-08-18 20:49:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC File::RsyncP issues
From: Jim Leonard <trixter AT oldskool DOT org>
To: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 19:45:57 -0500
Holger Parplies wrote:
 > first of all, where are you seeing these figures, and what are you
measuring?

Rather than try to convince you of my competence, I will offer up these
benchmarks for the exact same endpoint machines and file (a 2 gigabyte
uncompressable *.avi file that did NOT exist on the target):

Unix rsync->Unix rsync:       60MB/s
Windows SMB->Unix smbclient:  65MB/s
Windows rsyncd->Unix rsync:    5MB/s
Windows rsyncd->BackupPC_dump: 5MB/s

As you can see, something is now clearly wrong with the windows rsyncd
source.  I confirmed this by profiling actual rsync in Unix and saw that
77% of its time was spent waiting for data (which mirrors exactly what
File::RsyncP::pollsys was doing, wasting 77% of its time waiting for
data).  So the problem isn't BackupPC, it's windows rsyncd.

I initially used cygwin rsync; for the above test, I switched it out for
DeltaCopy's rsync.  BOTH VERSIONS had this kind of crappy speed.  Both
versions showed hardly any CPU or filesystem usage; they just simply run
slowly for a reason I can't figure out.  The network isn't slow (gigabit
ethernet), the checksums aren't taking a long time (it's a brand new
file that doesn't exist on the target so there's nothing to checksum),
the hard drive isn't slow (raid-0 SATA stripe capable of 130GB/s read
speeds) -- it just simply serves data really really slowly.

I can't believe this is an isolated incident.  Other people have got to
be seeing this.  Other than cygwin and DeltaCopy, is there any specific
version of rsyncd I should be using?  Any flags I can set in BackupPC
that can improve speed?

 > The primary purpose of the rsync protocol is to save network
bandwidth. So if,
 > for example, you are transferring only one tenth the amount of data
for a full
 > backup, and that takes the same time as with SMB, your network
throughput will

These are not incrementals, but full backups, and the speed as
previously mentioned is 1/10th that of SMB.  SMB backups are quite fast
on this same infrastructure (around 65MB/s) but I can't use SMB because
of XP/Vista/Win7 permission problems.

 > I believe Craig is researching other alternatives (a fuse FS to handle
 > compression and deduplication, so BackupPC could, in fact, use native
rsync).

I hope that doesn't become mandatory, because that would limit BackupPC
to Unix versions that support FUSE (not all do).
--
Jim Leonard (trixter AT oldskool DOT org)            http://www.oldskool.org/