BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Backups fail on some XP laptops after running for hours

2009-08-18 20:33:36
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Backups fail on some XP laptops after running for hours
From: brianbe2 <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 17:46:26 -0400
Installed BackupPC a few months ago. After creating all users using one as a
template for the rest I would think they'd all behave the same. Tested the
rsync on all the laptops initially and had pretty good results.

About a week later my bosses laptop, scheduled for an incremental, began
backing up at 10:00 am and was still running when she shutdown her laptop at
7:00 pm. Obviously the backup failed. The previous days incrementals lasted
only 45 minutes or so.

>>From that time onward the backups begin and just keep running until the user
>>powers off. This is occurring on at least three laptops now.

It seems like rsync begins very strong as the CPU utilization for that users
process runs up to 25% on the Suse 10 server, then after about 30~45 minutes it
gradually throttles back almost to zero.

I've tried excludes of the pagefile, ntuser.dat, system volume information, etc
with no change. Updated to a newer rsync than what came with
cygwin-rsyncd-2.6.8_0.zip on my bosses laptop...

No SSH, just running on port 873, firewall has the port opened via the netsh
firewall commands by running service.bat from the package mentioned above.

It almost seems like rsync.exe is stalling on the client laptops. It's process
shows little CPU utilization, naturally, when time runs onward it decreases to
nearly zero.

I could REALLY use some help and or pointers to get this back to the peppy
speed it once used to have.

Your thoughts and suggestions?