BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC File::RsyncP issues

2009-08-19 10:19:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC File::RsyncP issues
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 16:16:24 +0200
On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 08:46:50AM -0500, Jim Leonard wrote:

> > I would take a look at a network traffic dump - maybe something is bad
> > there? More suspects: Windows firewall, some other firewall inbeteween?
> > Did you try Windows rsyncd -> Windows rsync (to rule out some strange
> > Linux vs. Windows network stack issue)?
>
> It's not the network; I did a test using rsync as the client and rsyncd
> as the server, on the same machine (ie. the network stack was involved
> but not the network itself), and then I got 22MB/s.  While 22MB/s is an
> improvement over 5MB/s, it's still a long ways away from the performance
> I saw doing smb backups with BackupPC (65MB/s using smbclient).

Half the throughput locally is reasonable - you've got twice the disk
activity (and it's usually competing for the same disk). I've just had
this here on a Linux box where I tested an rsync-based backup of Vmware
images. When I copied the images to the box, it maxed out at around
50-60 MB/s which seems to be the limit of the el-cheapo external RAID.
When I rsynced locally (rsync /raid/somewhere /raid/somewhereelse -
actually just a copy), I saw 25-30 MB/s throughput.

I'd rule out the network. Samba might be doing fancy things to the TCP
level etc. Or you might try establishing an ssh tunnel to the Windows
host (or from Windows host to BackupPC server using putty which might be
easier), then point rsyncd to the local end of the tunnel.

HTH,

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de
www.craniosacralzentrum.de