BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Is there a speed setting?

2009-08-18 17:17:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Is there a speed setting?
From: Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey AT BUC DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 17:12:47 -0400
Jeremy Mann wrote:

> I'm watching a live output of Ganglia showing network usage while the
> backups are going. Also simple math.. I just finished one full backup, 16
> GB in 143 minutes. That's simply unacceptable for a full backup.

You should be able to get faster transfer rates than that.  I just
checked my last full backup and it was running at 8.2MB/s on a 100Mb/s
network (296GB full backup in 613 minutes).

I can't help with solving your problem, but I can verify that BackupPC
with rsync is definitely capable of backup speeds higher than what you
are seeing.

BTW - I am connecting to an rsync server with no encryption.  If you
connect through SSH, that may affect your transfer rates.

--
Bowie