BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] New user- loads of questions

2009-08-18 13:27:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] New user- loads of questions
From: Filipe Brandenburger <filbranden AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 13:24:50 -0400
Hi,

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 07:04, Nigel
Kendrick<support-lists AT petdoctors.co DOT uk> wrote:
> 4) I am running the backup server on CentOS 5.3 and installed backuppc from
> the Centos RPM. Ideally I'd like to run the app as the normal 'apache' user
> - I read up on a few generic notes about doing this and got to a point where
> backuppc wouldn't start properly as it couldn't create the LOG file. I then
> went round in circles looking at file permissions before putting things back
> the way they were in order to do some more learning. Is there a
> simple-to-follow guide for setting up backuppc to not use mod_perl - I have
> read the docs but am still not getting there.

I've been through the same with CentOS RPM for BackupPC, eventually I
just stopped using it...

I rebuilt the SRPM for BackupPC from Fedora, it builds just fine in
CentOS 5 and works just fine. It actually starts working out of the
box, without any changes to Apache needed, you're able to use Apache
with user "apache" and even run other applications on the same server.

I reported those issues to CentOS, but they still found that requiring
the users to change Apache's user was acceptable and did not want to
change that...

You may also try EPEL's package of BackupPC, I believe it will be the
same as the one I rebuilt from Fedora's SRPMS:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/i386/BackupPC-3.1.0-3.el5.noarch.rpm

Otherwise, get Fedora's SRPM here:
ftp://ftp.nrc.ca/pub/systems/linux/redhat/fedora/linux//releases/11/Everything/source/SRPMS/BackupPC-3.1.0-5.fc11.src.rpm

And use these instructions to rebuild it:
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/RebuildSRPM

HTH,
Filipe