BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc: return of investment

2009-08-04 10:28:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc: return of investment
From: Filipe Brandenburger <filbranden AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 10:22:52 -0400
Hi,

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 03:39, Robert Waldner<waldner AT waldner.priv DOT at>
wrote:
> I have /var/lib/backuppc (and /etc/backuppc via symlink) on an (encrypted)
>  3-disk RAID-1, constantly degraded to 2 disks, and on occasion sync
>  a 3rd disk which is cycled with another in the safe.

I have /var/lib/BackupPC in a RAID-10 array of fast disks using XFS
filesystem, then once a week I stop BackupPC, unmount it, and use
xfs_copy (does more or less the same as "dd" on other filesystems,
only copies data blocks only) to an external USB 2TB disk encrypted
with LUKS. The copy of approximately 1.3TB takes about 15 hours. I
have four external USB disks that I rotate and send offsite in a
weekly basis.

The disadvantage I see about keeping a degraded encrypted RAID-1 is
that performance will suffer during normal operation, both due to
encryption and the fact that you have only two disks, and also that
the disk you keep offsite must be the same as the other two, which can
get expensive depending on how much performance you want to get from
it...

HTH,
Filipe