BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup of backuppc User Directory

2009-08-04 10:33:35
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup of backuppc User Directory
From: Filipe Brandenburger <filbranden AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 10:28:36 -0400
Hi,

2009/8/4 Christian Völker <chrischan AT knebb DOT de>:
> What I'm wondering is which include/exclude rules I should apply so the
> user data itself is backed up, but not the backup repository.
>
> Anyone an idea?

I don't think you need to back up the encryption keys or SSH
configuration, as you saw yourself it's fairly easy to recreate that
data.

If you really want to back that up, you can just create a new host
"localhost" in your BackupPC and use /var/lib/BackupPC/.ssh as the
share name to backup.

What would be more important is to backup /etc/BackupPC, but in that
case I would not advise you to back that up in BackupPC.

Maybe you should periodically copy the contents of /etc/BackupPC and
/var/lib/BackupPC/.ssh to an external USB disk?

But be very careful of where you store your backup keys! They can
potentially give root access to all your servers to whoever has access
to them.

HTH,
Filipe