BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc: return of investment

2009-08-04 17:19:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc: return of investment
From: Robert Waldner <waldner AT waldner.priv DOT at>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 23:15:23 +0200
On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 10:22:52 EDT, Filipe Brandenburger writes:
>The disadvantage I see about keeping a degraded encrypted RAID-1 is
>that performance will suffer during normal operation, both due to
>encryption and the fact that you have only two disks, and also that
>the disk you keep offsite must be the same as the other two, which can
>get expensive depending on how much performance you want to get from
>it...

The speed-limit I see is the CPU of my backup machine (it's _slow_).

And as for space .. I bought 6 disks of equal size (though from
 different manufacturers/product lines, of course - well, yes, I'm
 paranoid that way), and when only, say, 4 of them will still be
 working, it'll be time for a capacity-upgrade anyway.

cheers,
&rw
--
-- "Haushaltsvorstand ist immer der, der das Haeusl *nicht* putzt."
--                          - Kommentar zur letzten Volkszaehlung