BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Why is my rsync so much slower to do an incremental backup than tar over ssh?

2009-07-15 11:35:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Why is my rsync so much slower to do an incremental backup than tar over ssh?
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 10:30:42 -0500
On 07/15 09:53 , Les Mikesell wrote:
> Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> >
> > As a noteworthy data point, when making an initial copy of files (not using
> > backuppc, just plain tar or rsync); tar is 2x-4x faster than rsync,
> > presumably due to all of rsync's calculating overhead.
>
> Are you comparing a tar to a tar archive to rsync or 'tar -c | ssh ...
> tar -x'?

The latter.

> The slow part of the process should be creating the new
> directory tree and file structure.  Rsync shouldn't do a lot of
> calculating when the target is empty, but it does (at least the old
> versions) read and transfer the entire source directory tree before
> starting any file transfers which can add some time to the operation
> particularly where there are a lot of small files.

Interesting. I might have vaguely known some of that but never correlated
it. Thank you. I think I can see how it might be a bit slower to create the
directory trees then transfer the files, rather than create the files and
indices in a more sequential fashion.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator