BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Why is my rsync so much slower to do an incremental backup than tar over ssh?

2009-07-15 10:58:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Why is my rsync so much slower to do an incremental backup than tar over ssh?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 09:53:56 -0500
Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

> As a noteworthy data point, when making an initial copy of files (not using
> backuppc, just plain tar or rsync); tar is 2x-4x faster than rsync,
> presumably due to all of rsync's calculating overhead.

Are you comparing a tar to a tar archive to rsync or 'tar -c | ssh ...
tar -x'?  The slow part of the process should be creating the new
directory tree and file structure.  Rsync shouldn't do a lot of
calculating when the target is empty, but it does (at least the old
versions) read and transfer the entire source directory tree before
starting any file transfers which can add some time to the operation
particularly where there are a lot of small files.