BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Multiple backuppc server

2009-07-09 16:57:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Multiple backuppc server
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 15:50:37 -0500
Holger Parplies wrote:

> So, do you insist on making the original poster believe that running several
> instances of BackupPC on the same pool is a good idea, or can we maybe find
> some other topic to disagree on?

I'll insist that it should be possible, with the only real conflicts
being what happens when a pool file is created, removed, or renamed.
Since only the thing that removes or renames pool files is
BackupPC_nightly, it's relatively easy to eliminate those possibilities
by controlling when/where it runs.   Creating files should just be a
matter of  making sure the file creation is atomic with O_CREAT,O_EXCL
(or the old linking workaround for linux nfs bugs) and handling errors
by doing whatever you would have done if the file had been there a
moment before when you looked for it.