BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Multiple backuppc server

2009-07-08 04:15:47
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Multiple backuppc server
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 10:11:43 +0200
On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 01:50:56PM +0100, Andy Brown wrote:
> Hi All,
> We've started to setup a large multiple server backuppc environment, and
> wanted a few thoughts/ideas/advice.
> We've got a large 2TB nas at the back of it with gig connectivity.
> Filesystem is LVM on top of OCFS2 so we have multiple front-end servers with
> read/write.
> Backuppc on each host is setup with relevant different hostnames and setup
> separate logdirectories. The actual top/backup location is shared on the main
> nas store.
>
> So
> $Conf{TopDir} = /backups/backuppc/
> $Conf{ConfDir}     = '/etc/backuppc';
> $Conf{LogDir}      = '/backups/backup02';
> $Conf{InstallDir}  = '/usr/share/backuppc';
> $Conf{CgiDir}      = '/usr/share/backuppc/cgi-bin';

> Each server has its own list of hosts in /etc/backuppc/hosts as that's
> how I'm splitting the job queues. i.e. a host only exists in one
> server hosts file (at present either backup01 or backup02).
>
> Can anyone see any pitfalls with this? The only strange thing I've
> noticed is with the trashClean process, it seems to be trying to clean
> things that the other server is creating/working on and failing with
> "Can't read /var/lib/backuppc/trash/xxxx/home/blah/thing/file: No such
> file or directory". It doesn't seem a major thing so I'm ignoring it
> for now!

You will run into lots of troubles since BackupPC is not designed to
support multiple instances accessing the same storage. There are
processes like BackupPC_nightly which need to have exclusive access to
the pool (e.g. no parallel BackupPC_link running).

> Anyone see any pitfalls/problems with what I'm doing here?

What are you trying to accomplish by using multiple BackupPC instances?

For the time being, they need exclusive pool directories, that is,
exclusive TopDir.

HTH,

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de