BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to reuse already saved data until an interrupted incr backup

2009-07-06 16:11:07
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to reuse already saved data until an interrupted incr backup
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 15:06:25 -0500
Matthias Meyer wrote:
> My "new" strategy:
> If an incremental abort I will copy the last backup (called #X) into a new
> backup (called #Y) and merge the partial incremental into it.
> In the __TOPDIR__/pc/<host>/backups file I duplicate the last line and
> increment the backup number (to #Y). I will also try to change the
> text "full" or "incr" to "partialIncr" but I would believe that BackupPC
> will be surprised about this string.
> The advantage of the above: The next backup is looking for new files against
> the timestamp from backup #X and against the files from backup #Y.
> The disadvantage: It is possible that backup #Y contains files which are
> deleted after backup #X on client side.
>
> If the next backup (called #Z):
> - is an incremental backup  and abort too, I will only merge the transferred
> files into backup #Y. If it ends successful I have to merge the backup #Y
> into backup #Z and delete backup #Y.
> - is a full backup I would end up with an inconsistent incremental #Y.
> Therefore I will delete backup #Y after the successful full backup #Z.
>
> My goal, save as much transfered files as possible, should be reached.
> The disadvantage to have "deleted" files within an backup would be bearable
> for me.
>
> What do you think about that?

I always thought the place to make changes would be to de-couple the
thing that makes rsync/rsyncd full backups slow (the hard-coded addition
of "--ignore-times" for full runs in lib/Xfer/Rsync.pm) from the other
things that full backups do.  I haven't needed it yet, but if I did, I'd
probably try knocking that out except on weekends or maybe once a month
and then configure for daily full runs and no incrementals.