BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to reuse already saved data until an interrupted incr backup

2009-07-05 15:55:12
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to reuse already saved data until an interrupted incr backup
From: Matthias Meyer <matthias.meyer AT gmx DOT li>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 21:14:57 +0200
Matthias Meyer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use BackupPC 3.1 and rsyncd.
> If an incr Backup aborts, e.g. because of lost network connections, all of
> the data, which was copied into the /new directory, will be deleted.
> The next time an incr backup runs, all the work (compare and transfer)
> must be done again.
>
> What is the reason for this behavior?
> Is there a posibility to save the already saved data and reuse it for the
> next backup in a similiar way as in interupted full backups?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Matthias

I tried to move the data (/new, /NewFileList, /XferLOG.z) to another place
by the DumpPostUserCmd if $type == incr and $xferOK == 0.
This part works fine.
In the DumpPpreUserCmd I move the data back to its original place if $type
== incr and saved data exists.
This part works fine too.
But the following rsync process transfers the already transfered files
again.
It seems that rsync, at least within an incremental mode, did not compare
the files against the /new directory.

In the next step I will try to move the /new directory to a /<number>
directory, update the /backups file and run BackupPC_link during the
DumpPostUserCmd.

Is there any reason to not do that?

br
Matthias